Music has the power to transport us in time, space, and emotion. Poignant pieces of music can bring us to tears or make us dance with joy. It makes us remember moments we might have forgotten. Music shapes our experiences and brings us together. It moves our hearts and shakes out the cobwebs. Join us at a DSSO concert this season, and share in the joy.
We have envisioned a stronger community through the power of music and musician artistry.
Duluth Civic Symphony
Orchestra Nov 15th 1934
Paul Lemay – Conductor
German Conductor, Dirk Meyer, strives to create concert experiences that bring classical music to new audiences and demographics. His entertaining style has made him a favorite among audiences.
Erin Aldridge has won numerous awards as both soloist and chamber musician and has been featured throughout Europe, South America, and the United States. She is a highly sought-after performer and pedagogue, and has been published in Strings Magazine.
The DSSO Symphony Chorus has a long history of performances, stretching back to its founding in 1959. This chorus of dedicated volunteers appears regularly with the DSSO in presentations of choral-orchestral masterworks, operas, and pops concerts.
Established in 1931, the DSSO has flourished throughout the years to continue to bring beautiful classical melodies along with current pops concerts to Symphony Hall.
Although Duluth has a history of professional orchestras reaching as far back as 1883, the beginnings of the Duluth Civic Orchestra occurred in 1931 in the carriage house of Alphin Flaaten, a professional music teacher. The first concert of the Civic Orchestra was on May 2, 1932, under the baton of Walter Lange. The organization met with overwhelming community support and Paul Lemay, principal violist and assistant conductor of the Minneapolis Symphony, accepted the post of first full-time conductor. His first concert with the Duluth Civic Orchestra was December 26, 1932, and shortly thereafter, the Duluth Symphony Association was founded under the management of Abe Miller.
Those initial concerts took place in the Duluth Armory located at 14th Avenue East and London Road. In 1966, the Orchestra moved to the DECC (Duluth Entertainment and Convention Center) Auditorium which seats over 2,200 and is located on the waterfront. In the 1974-75 season the name of the Orchestra was officially changed to Duluth Superior Symphony Orchestra to reflect the close cultural and economic relationship of the two port cities.
Now, in its 91st season, the DSSO has consistently provided professional level performances of symphonic music, both traditional and new, to audiences of every age and background. The DSSO has set itself apart from its peers and established a unique tradition by regularly featuring the most important soloists of the day.