The 2020 Young Artist Competition will be held in March or April of 2020. Details will be finalized around the first of the year. Thank you!
Congratulations to the 2019 Young Artist Competition Winners
- Gabrielle Koepke, piano
- Austin Engelhardt, violin
- Eliana Lammi, piano
Hester Scholarship recipient
- Mia Kracker, violin
Thank you to all of our 2019 YAC participants!
2020 Young Artist Competition will be in January 2020. Check back in September 2019 for a confirmed date.
2019 Young Artist Competition
Friday, January 18, 2019 – Weber Music Hall, UMD
$500, $250, and three prizes of $100.
First Place winner will receive $500 and an opportunity to perform with the DSSO (subject to judges’ decision) at the DSSO’s Young People’s Concert on May 3, 2019. First Place winners may audition in following years but are not eligible to win First Place again.
Second Place ($250)
Third Place ($100)
(1) Meet age requirement: 18 or younger as of January 1, 2019
(2) Audition on orchestra instrument (including piano): Violin, Viola, Cello, Bass, Flute, Piccolo, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, French Horn, Trumpet, Trombone, Tuba, Harp, Percussion, Timpani, Piano, Saxophone
Applicants must live or pursue musical studies in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Upper Michigan
Minnesota Counties: Aitkin, Becker, Beltrami, Benton, Carlton, Cass, Chisago, Clay, Clearwater, Cook, Crow Wing, Douglas, Grant, Hubbard, Isanti, Itasca, Kanabec, Kittson, Koochiching, Lake, Lake of the Woods, Mahnomen, Marshall, Mille Lacs, Morrison, Norman, Otter Tail, Pennington, Pine, Polk, Pope, Red Lake, Roseau, Sherburne, St. Louis, Stearns, Stevens, Todd, Traverse, Wadena, Wilkin
Wisconsin Counties: Ashland, Barron, Bayfield, Burnett, Douglas, Iron, Polk, Rusk, Sawyer, Washburn
Upper Michigan: All Counties
(1) Auditioned piece to be a single movement, not longer than 12 minutes, or it will not qualify.
(2) Orchestral accompaniment must be available for rental or purchase
(3) Provide your own accompanist.
(4) MEMORIZATION REQUIRED.
(5) Provide three copies of the score or piano accompaniment for the audition (one for each of the three adjudicators). We will not photocopy music when you arrive for the audition.
William Hester Scholarship & Requirements
Prize: This $275 award was established in honor of William Hester, a greatly admired violinist, pianist, teacher, and former member of the Duluth Superior Symphony Orchestra.
(1) Must be a member of one of the higher two divisions of the DSSO’s Youth Ensembles (Concert Orchestra or Youth Symphony)
(2) The funds are to be used for private study.
(3) Provide your own accompanist.
(4) Submit application, with accompanist information, postmarked by December 15, 2017.
The competition work for both events must be one movement (only one) of a concerto or equivalent. You must provide three copies of the score or piano accompaniment for the audition (one for each of the three adjudicators). We will not photocopy music when you arrive for the audition.
-Memorization is REQUIRED for both the YAC and Hester Scholarship auditions.
-Please have a short bio and e-photo ready in case you are selected.
For Further Information & Applications
emailed applications are strongly encouraged and preferred: [email protected]
Postmarked Applications can be sent to:
Attn: Heidi Lord
130 W Superior St.
Duluth, MN 55802
Contact Heidi Lord @ Duluth Superior Symphony Orchestra
218-623-3771 or [email protected]