2017 Young Artist Competition
Sunday, January 15, 2017
$500, $250, and three prizes of $100.
First Place winner will receive $500 and an opportunity to perform with the DSSO (subject to judges’ decision) at the DSSO’s Young People’s Concert in the Spring of 2017. First Place winners may audition in following years but are not eligible to win First Place again.
Second Place ($250)
Third Place ($100)
(1) Meet age requirement: 18 or younger as of December 31, 2016
(2) Audition on orchestra instrument (including piano): Violin, Viola, Cello, Bass, Flute, Piccolo, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, French Horn, Trumpet, Trombone, Tuba, Harp, Percussion, Timpani, Piano, Saxophone
Applicants must live or pursue musical studies in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Upper Michigan
Minnesota Counties: Aitkin, Becker, Beltrami, Benton, Carlton, Cass, Chisago, Clay, Clearwater, Cook, Crow Wing, Douglas, Grant, Hubbard, Isanti, Itasca, Kanabec, Kittson, Koochiching, Lake, Lake of the Woods, Mahnomen, Marshall, Mille Lacs, Morrison, Norman, Otter Tail, Pennington, Pine, Polk, Pope, Red Lake, Roseau, Sherburne, St. Louis, Stearns, Stevens, Todd, Traverse, Wadena, Wilkin
Wisconsin Counties: Ashland, Barron, Bayfield, Burnett, Douglas, Iron, Polk, Rusk, Sawyer, Washburn
Upper Michigan: All Counties
(1) Auditioned piece to be a single movement, not longer than 12 minutes, or it will not qualify.
(2) Orchestral accompaniment must be available for rental or purchase
(3) Provide your own accompanist.
(4) MEMORIZATION REQUIRED.
(5) Provide three copies of the score or piano accompaniment for the audition (one for each of the three adjudicators). We will not photocopy music when you arrive for the audition.
William Hester Scholarship & Requirements
Prize: This $275 award was established in honor of William Hester, a greatly admired violinist, pianist, teacher, and former member of the Duluth Superior Symphony Orchestra.
(1) Must be a member of one of the higher two divisions of the DSSO’s Youth Ensembles (Concert Orchestra or Youth Symphony)
(2) The funds are to be used for private study.
(3) Auditionees may provide their own accompanist or the DSSO will provide one to you at no cost, if you request one by December 16, 2016.
(4) Submit application, with accompanist information, postmarked by December 23, 2016.
The competition work for both events must be one movement (only one) of a concerto or equivalent. You must provide three copies of the score or piano accompaniment for the audition (one for each of the three adjudicators). We will not photocopy music when you arrive for the audition.
-Memorization is REQUIRED for both the YAC and Hester Scholarship auditions.
-Please have a short bio and e-photo ready in case you are selected.
For Further Information & Applications
Click here to download the application
Click here to download requirements flyer
Contact Heidi Lord @ Duluth Superior Symphony Orchestra
218-623-3771 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Send Postmarked Applications By December 23, 2016
Attn: Heidi Lord
130 W Superior St.
Duluth, MN 55802
emailed applications are accepted and encouraged: email@example.com
Congratulations to the winners of the 2016 YAC:
Erica Anderson, first place
Joshua Peterson, second place
Isabel Valencia, second place
Abigail Valine, third place
Marissa Faerber, third place
Lucie Han, Hester Scholarship recipient